Friday 22 November 2013

Great First Week of Centres!

It's been such a great week getting the ball rolling with our "ateliers". The children really seemed to enjoy the new routines. The one thing I did find was that it was very intense in the mornings when we went through the three centre times. By Thursday, I found that I will need to take Fridays as regular days to finish up any language and math activities that we do in between our "ateliers". I really loved how much one on one time I really had to work with them, especially in writing and math as I already did guided reading with the class. Taking Friday for catching up will also give me the chance to complete GB+ assessments with the students from time to time as well as any other assessments we do.

For our "Ateliers de lecture", the students are rotating through centres with alphabetical order games, reading alone, listening to stories at the computer/stereo, reading with a partner, and guided reading with Mme. When reading with me, we worked on reading strategies and next steps in their reading as well as a comprehension activity. 






For our "Ateliers de l'écriture", the students are rotating through matching sentence games, writing alone with a roll a sentence dice game, making word wall words with play-doh, writing a poem as a group, and guided writing with Mme. In the guided groups, I have been doing mini-lessons on taking a simple sentence and continuing to add description to make a very detailed sentence. Then the students began to write a descriptive paragraph about their house. 





For our "Ateliers de maths", the students are rotating through centres on math fact practice, math games on the computer, math games to review base ten concepts, math problems as a group, and guided math with Mme. With me the students are completing activities on graphing and I've had a great opportunity to observe them and complete rubrics on how they problem solve for graphing. 






In between the ateliers, we continued with our regular activities. We did our usual two poems as shared reading, which are in next week's homework to read. The grade twos did the comptines "Le chariot" and "La campagne" with the "ch" and "gn" sounds. The grade threes looked at the "or" sound in the story "La sorcière Mirador". In math, the students also began a written assessment for the data management unit we have been doing. Next week the students will begin a unit on linear measurement. Our "buts d'apprentissage" wall is now pretty bare as I had to move it at the end of the day to make room for our SMARTBOARD which will be going in that location. I'm not sure when the SMARTBOARD will be installed but I am ver excited to get started with it. Our "buts d'apprentissage are now on the other side of the room near the sink. There will be no "ateliers" on Monday as I will be away at a French conference but we'll be back to it on Tuesday. 


Ready for the SMARTBOARD!

1 comment:

  1. Love the "Ateliers"! What a great way to learn.
    I enjoy reading your updates and seing what the students have been up to.
    Thanks,
    Sandra Kilpatrick

    ReplyDelete